07 September 2017

How to Fringe 2017: Tanya Di Vella

Tanya Di Vella
Singer, writer

Purple Reflection: Remembering Prince
25 September – 1 Oct
The Butterfly Club


Tanya Di Vella. Photo by Kieran McNamara

If you could invite anyone to your show (and you knew they would come), who would it be?
That’s a tough question. I would’ve loved to have invited Prince and hoped he would approve but of course if it wasn’t for Prince passing I would never have created this show in honour of him.

Otherwise perhaps my older brother as I insisted on taking him to the next Prince concert after I was lucky enough to be there for the Piano and Microphone tour. There was no next concert.

The Melbourne Fringe in three words.
Celebration. Independence. Diversity.

A favourite Melbourne Fringe memory.
When I was fairly new to Melbourne I went with my husband to see a show at The Butterfly Club. Whilst the show itself was quite enjoyable, I remember how surprised I was at the quirkiness of the venue. If it wasn’t for me wanting to get amongst things in Melbourne to get more acquainted with the city I now called home I wouldn’t have found The Butterfly Club. If it wasn’t for the Fringe Festival, I may not have headed out at that time at all due to my hectic schedule.

What is your experience as an independent artist being part of the Melbourne Fringe?
This is my first time. So far I have found everything great. The people on the Fringe team and The Butterfly Cub staff are very friendly, helpful and patient with all the questions that I have as a new comer. It feels like a fun festival to be part of.

What makes the Melbourne Fringe unique?
The festival is very inclusive and welcomes such a range of diverse participants, especially as it's open to weird and unexpected art.

Your advice for choosing what to see in the Melbourne Fringe.
Be open to trying something new. You never know what you might find.

Five shows/events that you will not miss at the 2017 Melbourne Fringe?
Ugly Duckling by Spanky! & Karla Hillam
Katie's 80s by Katie Visser
Hi, Can I Help You? A Comedy Cabaret of Retail and Loneliness
The True History of the Tragic Life and Triumphant Death of Julia Pastrana, the Ugliest Woman in the World
Faith. A celebration of the world's most unholy queer icon: George Michael