02 September 2017

How to Fringe 2017: Karla Hillam

Karla Hillam
Performer

Ugly Duckling
18–24 September
The Butterfly Club

Karla Hillam. Ugly Duckling. Photo by Dale Mastin

If you could invite anyone to your show (and you knew they would come), who would it be?
Baz Luhrmann

A favourite Melbourne Fringe memory.
Getting lost in the Fringe Hub and discovering something awesome: a show called No Punchline. It was about female empowerment and used elements of boxing and circus to explore strength in femininity. Those girls were seriously strong and fit. It was amazing an quite inspiring. And self devised. I would have never gone for it if I hadn't literally stumbled upon, but I'm so glad I did! It made me want to go home and make something.

Your experience as an independent artist being part of the Melbourne Fringe.
An exciting but steep learning curve with lots of help and support along the way.

What makes the Melbourne Fringe unique.
It’s the testing ground and birth place for many shows that go on to have great big lives.

Advice for choosing what to see in the Melbourne Fringe.
Ask around. I always ask my friends what they loved and hated and why.

Is there a better system than star ratings for reviews? 
I’ve always had stars in my eyes.

Five shows/events that you will not miss at the 2017 Melbourne Fringe.
Self
Discordia
Fringe Wives Club: Glittery Clittery: a conSENSUAL party
Tony Martin and Geraldine Quinn: Childproof, the podcast
Fringe Furniture 31