10 September 2017

How to Fringe 2017: Lisa Crawley

Lisa Crawley
Songwriter, performer, multi-instrumentalist, actor

Elizabeth
18–24 September
The Butterfly Club


Lisa Crawly

If you could invite anyone to your show (and you knew they would come), who would it be?
Bill Bailey. He’s my favourite musical comedian and I know has had a very similar musical background to me and would appreciate our mutual talented of playing piano in the background with a forced smile while thinking about ‘what a jerk this guy is’ and wondering what’s for dinner.

The Melbourne Fringe in three words?
Recreative, rollicking, imperative!

What is your experience as an independent artist being part of the Melbourne Fringe?
This is my first time being part of the fringe. Before even starting the show or seeing any others, but just from the launch and meetings, I’ve loved the community aspect and the supportive nature of the venues, fellow participants, friends and the creative energy from everyone involved.

What makes the Melbourne Fringe unique?
The diversity in the acts. It feels like there’s something for everyone. There’s so many outside-the-box ideas, concepts and workshops for those developing their craft or wanting to learn something new. Also, that there’s going to be Australia’s first child-led political party of kids 8–12 who are probably more onto it than we are. What a great idea.

Your advice for choosing what to see in the Melbourne Fringe?
I feel like I need to be taking advice rather than giving it! I can’t stop looking through the program.

Do you think there’s a better system than star ratings for reviews?
Maybe stars for different aspects of the show, like they do on Airbnb. I guess they probably do take all that into account before giving an overall review. I don’t know, I know I’ve struggled with the star ratings for reviews of my albums. It’s good that people are discussing ideas for better systems even if it does come back to the old-school method in the end.

Shows/events that you will not miss at the 2017 Melbourne Fringe.
Crimson Tide
The Improv Conspiracy Theatre – Free Comedy Open House. All tickets 100% free
Jim, with A T by Tim Green
Shania Choir
If You See Her Say Hello and Ladychoir



ELIZABETH from Bullet Heart Club on Vimeo.