20 June 2012

Chat: Jeremy Davies from Circus Oz

From The Ground Up
Circus Oz
21 June – 28 July


Jeremy Davies is a circus, puppetry, physical theatre performer and director who has worked for companies such as Circus Monoxide, Circa (Rock and Roll Circus), Windmill Performing Arts, The Australian Choreographic Centre, QPAC, and Company Skylark.

He is a founding member of Out Of The Blue Studios, KRONIK and Blue Circus Studios and helped to create successful independent theatre productions KRONIK, Extreme Circus, Kronik Attack, Out Of The Blue, Warehouse Circus and Fallen and he’s performed in every Australian state and worked in France, Canada, China and America.


What do you do in From The Ground Up?
I bring the magic and the good looks.

What was the first circus trick you learnt?
When I was 10 years old I held my breath until I turned purple. Everyone thought I was so cool.

What circus skill do you wish you had?
Tiger trainer! I love those big cats; so cute.

What are you always up for?
Comedy! Anything that can make me laugh. Love a giggle.

When did you join Circus Oz?
The first time was 2006. This time since 2009.

What do you love about Circus Oz?
I love touring. I never get sick of rolling out of town.

Do you remember your first trip to the circus?
I saw a traditional circus in the early 80s. The clowns scared me and I cried when the bears came out dancing.

What’s your favourite post-show snack?
Without a doubt‚ a banana.

Who do you love seeing in the audience?
I love it when the audience starts throwing their underwear. That’s how I get all my new undies.

What’s your advice for people who want to run away to the circus?
Think for yourself! Question authority and express your dissent.

Where and what did you study?
Australian History at Lynham High School Canberra (Year 9).

What was your first circus performance?
A 3 club juggling solo for an Irish folk Band (The Tinkers), February 1990.

How many suitcases do you tour with?
One medium size suitcase with four wheels. Travel light  .

When you’re touring, what can’t you leave home without?
I can’t function without my espresso machine.

Where’s your favourite place to tour to?
Fayetteville, Arkansas. Love that Southern hospitality.

Popcorn: sweet or savoury?
SAVOURY!! Salt, salt, salt, butter, salt and more butter.

If you couldn’t be in the circus, what would you do?
Be professionally good-looking.

Are you scared of clowns?
Only Ronald. All my friends are clowns!!

If you could teach Julia Gillard and Tony Abbott a circus trick, what would it be?
I would teach them a disappearing trick.

This was on AussieTheatre.com